Friday, July 26, 2013

Summer Style Beans and Rice

Good morning! It's cool, crisp, and dry in Boone this morning. I'm loving it, and loving these hydrangeas that are keeping me company as I type. Who else thinks blue hydrangeas are just the best? Thanks to an awesome co-worker of mine who has given me access to her backyard flower collection anytime I want!


Beans and rice is one of our staple meals. We usually have some type of variation once a week. It's easy, cheap, healthy, and filling. I'll usually steam, grill or roast some veggies to go along side, maybe throw a little sour cream or guacamole one top. Since we're such bean and rice frequents, I always have a stock of canned beans on hand. They may cost a little more than the dried variety, but you can't beat the convenience. 


Secondly, I always have rice on hand. Brown and white. Lately, my new favorite is this short grain brown rice - it cooks up so well and has a great texture (some brown rice can become a little mushy upon cooking).


Since summer is in fully swing (which I still can't believe. It's almost AUGUST?!), I decided to turn our weekly favorite into a cool summer dish. More of a beans and rice salad, if you will. So, I gathered all the veggies I had in the fridge, and got to trimming and chopping.


The only things that I actually "cooked" for this dish were the zucchini/garlic, and rice. The zucchini needed just a few minutes to soften up and gain some flavor from the chopped garlic.


Want to know the best way to chop fresh garlic? Take however many clove you need, lay them on the cutting board, and use the flat side of a large knife to hit each clove. This will break the clove and make it easy to peel the husk off.


 While in Michigan a few weeks back, my Grandma gave me a cool little collection of infused olive oils and vinegars! I put the lemon infused oil to use in this recipe (and it was awesome), but it was by no means crucial to the dish. Regular lemon juice and regular olive oil together will work just fine. 


Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper, two peas in a pod. Necessary in every kitchen.


Once all the little elements were thrown into one large bowl, I tossed it all together. Taste, season, taste, season. Perfecto! Great served cool or at room temperature. Even better with some sweet watermelon on the side.


Summer Style Beans and Rice Recipe:
Serves 6 as a side, 4 as a main dish
- 2.5 cups cooked brown rice (cooked according to package directions)
- Two cans of beans, rinsed and drained (I used black beans and garbanzos, but any will do)
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 ear of corn, taken off the cobb (I use it raw - yum!)
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 small can sliced olives
- 1 cup zucchini and/or yellow squash, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped 
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Dash of salt
Dressing Ingredients
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Grated parmesan (optional)

Directions:
- Saute' the zucchini/yellow squash and garlic over medium heat with a tablespoon or so of olive oil.
- Season zucchini/squash and garlic with a dash of salt and cook until just tender.
- Add beans, rice, and all other chopped veggies to a large bowl.
- Once the zucchini mixture has cooled, add it to the bean and rice mixture.
- Next, add all dressing ingredients.
- Taste the salad as you season and add more or less of your favorites.
- If you have any fresh herbs on hand, they would be a great addition at this point.
- Grated parmesan for a garnish and salty kick!

No comments:

Post a Comment