Saturday, July 6, 2013

Pearled Barley Salad

Hello, long lost friends! I have been a little MIA lately with continued travels, crazy weeks at work, and not many meals at home. When we have been cooking at home it's been our usual quick staple meals: tofu and veggies, pizza and salad, beans and rice...

I'm currently in Muskegon, Michigan for my Grandma's 80th birthday celebration. Jacob wasn't able to come with me due to work responsibilities, so I made the 12 hour drive solo on Wednesday. I've been soaking up the sun at Lake Michigan, hanging out with family, and trying to get as much adorable niece time as possible. Here are a few iphone snapshots from my Michigan adventures...

Un-edited. 


4th of July watermelon.


Let me out!


Me and my cousin, Brianna at Lake Michigan.


Rice and beans bowl bake with toppings and fresh farmers market veggies. Recipe to come soon. 


Ok, back to the barley. This barley salad was a recent creation. I had cooked some pearled barley one night to go along side our tofu and veggies, and threw the extra in the fridge to use later on. I decided to make a cold salad out of it and it turned out great! This is such a simple recipe, and makes for a refreshing summer side dish for your next cookout. You could add or take away any veggies to cater to your own tastes.


I added green pepper, cucumber, fresh corn, and basil.


Dressing was simple: lemon juice, olive oil, salt.


I love the chewy texture that pearled barley has. The raw veggies compliment the texture of the barley nicely. Can't wait to make this dish again!


Pearled Barley Salad Recipe:
- 2 cups cooked pearled barley, cooled (cook according to package directions)
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 2 ears fresh corn, kernels sliced off the cob
- 4 to 5 larges basil leaves, chiffonade (ed)? What's the past tense of that word?
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt

Directions:
- Toss the barley, veggies, and basil in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix together the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt.
- Pour the dressing over the barley and vegetables, toss to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment