Saturday, February 23, 2013

Grapefruit Cucumber Martini

Grapefruits are dirt cheap right now - at least here in Boone they are! You can't beat $1.47 for a huge bag of them at the local Harris Teeter. I typically pack a grapefruit with my lunch every day, but I needed some additional ways to use up the citrus fruits that were living in my fridge. And so, the grapefruit cucumber martini was born. This drink is the perfect pick me up for one of those winter-is-never-going-to-end kind of days.

Start out with some grated cucumber, reserving a few slices for garnish. Then, juice one whole grapefruit, reserving a couple of slices for garnish.


For the alcohol, I used gin, vodka, and triple sec (for sweetness). Clearly these are not top shelf liquors, but top shelf would be just fine as well.


Add the liquor to a martini shaker with ice, cucumber shreds, and grapefruit juice, and shake!


Pour the martini into a cool glass (this newly wed didn't register for martini glasses, so this fancy bar glass will have to do instead). Keep in mind, this is a martini, so it is mostly alcohol. It looks like such a small amount of drink, but believe me, it's powerful. Please drink responsibly.


Garnish with the reserved slices.


And imagine it's not 22 degrees with winds gusting up to 60 miles per hour :). Yes, that was the actual forecast on the day that I created these drinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment