Monday, February 11, 2013

Crazy for Winter Greenz

Jacob and I love to cook using produce that is in season. Typically, the produce that is in season is cheaper in the stores and it hasn't been shipped from another country, so it tastes a fresher. That's why I am dedicating this whole post to greens. Greens are in season in the winter months, and happen to be ridiculously nutrient dense. Let me introduce you to my friends Kale and Swiss Chard.

Kale. It's so cheap, so nutritious, so delicious. Kale is a winter green, one of few that enjoy the frosty weather. I can purchase kale at my local grocery store for 99 cents/pound. Do you know what a pound of kale looks like? It looks a lot. To sum this paragraph up - kale is ridiculously cheap. You should buy some.

But what should you do with all that kale that you tote home from the grocery store? Well, that's where I come in to help.


The kale pictured here has been roasted. First, I cleaned the kale by rinsing well and discarding the thick stems. Then, I roughly chopped it, tossed it with some olive oil and salt, and roasted it in a 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. The result is so much fun to eat! The kale turns crispy, almost like a chip. This would be a great way to get kids to try some new veggies.


Swiss chard. This green (with red stems) is a little more bitter than kale. It needs a little more seasoning to turn out just right, but is overall a very easy green to prepare and cook.


This time around cooking the swiss chard I cleaned it (the same way I cleaned the kale, but left more of the stems intact since they're a little more tender than kale stems), and sautéed it with some seasonings. Olive oil was added to the pan before the chard, then soy sauce and a pinch of red pepper flakes were tossed in near the end of cooking. Sometimes we like a splash of vinegar for extra tangy-ness, or even a few hefty pinches of brown sugar to cut the bitterness. 


I hope you can save your self some money AND give your immune system a big ole' boost with some winter greens soon, you'll be glad you did. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment