Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Simple Banana Cream Pie

I had the priviledge of going back home to Cary, NC for a few days last week for a business trip. While there, I also got to spend some quality time with my parents during the week (a rare occasion these days). One of the biggest highlights was getting to go swim at the Cary YMCA with my Dad. My Dad and I used to swim at the Y every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday all throughout my highschool yearss. I also spent much time at the Y working as a lifeguard, swim coach, and front desk worker. The Cary Y is close to my heart and I love any chance to hit the pool for an early morning workout with Dad (which is ALWAYS followed by a Bruegger's Bagel/Caribou Coffee date).

In addition to this special treat of waking up at the crack of dawn to exercise, I got to cook for my parents, brother, and sister in law one night. We had an un-eventful meal of beans and rice with all kinds of fixins'. For dessert, banana cream pie. Really really easy banana cream pie. I kid you not when I say that I kind of feel guilty for even posting this since it's so simple to make.


First, you crush up some graham crackers.


You can even purchase pre-crushed graham crackers for an even easier version of this cheater pie.


 Next, you mix up two packets of vanilla instant pudding. Love this XL pyrex measuring cup that my Mom has owned since before I can remember.


Two bananas sliced up.


The graham cracker crumbs are mixed with melted butter and a few teaspoons of sugar (cinnamon and vanilla extract if desired). Press the mixture into a pie plate, doing your best to make sure the crumbs are pressed up onto the sides as well. Then, the crust is baked in a 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes or until golden. This is by far the hardest part.


Layer the banana slices in the baked pie crust.


Then spread the pudding on top of the banana slices.


While the pie is cooling in the fridge, toast up a little coconut (optional).


Then whip up some whipped cream and spread it on top of the cold pie.


Top with toasted coconut.


Serve!


Cheater's Banana Cream Pie Recipe

- 1 package of graham crackers, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2-3 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 2 bananas
- 2 packages instant vanilla pudding, prepared
- 2 cups whipped cream, prepared
- 3 tbsp coconut, toasted

Directions:

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix crushed graham crackers, melted butter, vanilla, and sugar
- Press graham cracker mixture into a pie plate
- Bake pie crust for 5-10 minutes or until golden
- Slice bananas, place layer of bananas on the bottom of the cooled pie crust
- Spread pudding on top of bananas, refrigerate until pudding is set (1 hour, or up to 1 day)
- Spread whipped cream on top of the pudding layer
- Garnish pie with toasted coconut 
- Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment