Friday, August 23, 2013

Vegetarian Tex-Mex Pizzas

Happy Friday! It's been a long week 'round these parts, and even though Jacob and I both have to work over the weekend, I am excited for the chance to sleep in a little tomorrow morning and enjoy a little quality time with the husband and the pup. Running shorts, coffee, and sitting out on the porch will be involved.


Last night Jacob and I had an awesome dinner that I just had to share with you all. Mexican pizzas! These guys are so quick and easy to make, and can be topped with whatever ingredients you have on hand. Jacob would admit, he was skeptical of these guys at first, but I'm pretty sure he liked them, judging from the three inhaled. Also, I just remembered that the last recipe I posted was for enchiladas - I promise we eat things that don't involve tortillas, we've just been on a tex-mex kick lately, I guess.

This whole thing started when I found these organic refried black beans at Harris Teeter. I knew I could find a use for them.


Mushrooms, green pepper, and kale were sautéed and drained to be used as topping for the pizzas. I drained them after they were cooked because I didn't want any extra moisture to make the pizzas soggy. No one likes soggy pizza.


Fajita size flour tortillas were used.


Refried beans + veggies...


 + cheese...


I love using cucumber as a fresh and crisp topping for mexican dishes like this.


Salsa and sour cream are a must.


The finished product!


Along-side some steamed green beans and cauliflower. 


Vegetarian Tex-Mex Pizza Recipe
Serves 4
- 6 fajita size flour tortillas
- 1 can refried black or pinto beans
- 2 cups sautéed and drained veggies
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- Sour cream
- Salsa

Directions:
- Line a large sheet pan (or two small sheet pans) with aluminum foil for easy clean up.
- Place tortillas on the sheet pan(s).
- Divide the refried beans along the tortillas and spread on the tortillas.
- Once the veggies of your choice are cooked and drained, season with salt and chili powder.
- Top the pizzas with veggies and cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and pizzas are crispy.
- Serve with cucumber, sour cream, and salsa.


No comments:

Post a Comment