Monday, September 2, 2013

Grilled Portabella Hoagies

Portabellas. The vegetarian's steak. Earthy, meaty, and rich. I love these things. I do not, however, love the price tag that is associated with them. They're no where near as expensive as some of the true specialty mushrooms, but they aren't exactly button mushroom price-range either. I was so excited when I saw last week that these guys are for sale as a bulk item for just $3/pound at my local grocery store! A package of three costs close to $6, but one pound (equaling 4 medium sized mushrooms) only cost me $3!

Jacob and I have been on a real vegetarian kick lately. I don't think I've purchased any kind of meat in several weeks. This was just one of my newest creations using non-meat main dish ingredients. Start by cleaning the mushrooms using a damp paper towel. If you rise the mushrooms they tend to get a little soggy and beaten up. Just dust the dirt off with the paper towel.


Marinate the mushrooms in a mixture of soy sauce (my favorite marinade ingredient), olive oil, and fresh garlic.


Veggies. Have you all noticed that we really like clover sprouts?


I picked up two little hoagies from Harris Teeter's bakery section. $.75/each!


Dressings. Horseradish, whole grain mustard, hummus, and white cheddar cheese.


Grilled, seasoned, and put together. Along side some steamed broccoli and a few plantain chips (from Trader Joe's). A great labor day dinner, or weeknight meal!


Grilled Portabella Hoagie Recipe:
Makes 2 Hoagies
- 4 small portabella mushrooms, cleaned
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (2-3 cloves) garlic, minced
- 2 hoagie buns
- A few pieces of sliced white cheddar (or the cheese of your choice)
- Lettuce, tomato, sprouts, any topping you wish! Hummus, horseradish, and mustard are great as well.

Directions:
- Mix together the olive oil, soy sauce, and garlic in a small bowl.
- Pour the marinade over the mushrooms and place in a ziplock bag.
- Let the mushrooms sit for 20 min or up to 3 hours in the fridge.
- Grill the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes per side or until tender.
- Let the mushrooms rest for 5 minutes so the juices don't all escape when you slice them.
- Slice the mushrooms into 3 strips each, top with cheese.
- Toasts the hoagies and top with all your favorites.

Happy Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment