Thursday, May 9, 2013

Simple Salmon Cakes with Cool Lemon Dill Sauce

My sister, Sara, cooked these up once when I was visiting her during college. The cakes were so delicious, and reminded me of crab cakes. I love crab cakes, but I do not love the price tag that comes along with real lump crab. Two years later, I'm finally getting around to creating my own version of these delicious things. These are a great cure for a crab cake craving on a budget.

The salmon I bought was from Trader Joe's and was labeled as "wild caught alaskan salmon". I think the can was around $3 or $4. You can't beat that!


Once I drained and sorted through the salmon (I like to pick out the visible bones and skin), I tossed it with some lemon zest, green onion, parsley, salt, a tiny squeeze of good mayo, and an egg.


Heat up the oil nice and hot (but not smoking hot) so you get that crispy golden outer layer on the cakes.


While the oil is heating, form the salmon mixture into patties the size of your palm, and dredge in egg/milk, then panko style bread crumbs.


Carefully place each cake into the hot oil and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy. Don't burn yourself with hot oil like I did. Ouch.


Serve with a dollop of cool lemon dill sauce and a lemon wedge.


This night's sides were steamed rice and sautéed vegetables. 


Ever wonder what a typical Junaluska Julep dinner table looks like? Here you have it. Jacob bought me these pretty spring flowers, aren't they nice?


Simple Salmon Cakes Recipe:
Makes 4 palm sized cakes
- 1 can of salmon (one 14 ounce can, or two 7 ounce cans)
-  2 eggs
- 1 tbsp mayonaise
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped green onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup panko style bread crumbs
- Olive oil (or canola oil) for pan frying

Directions:
- Mix together the salmon, one egg, mayonaise, lemon zest, parsley, green onion, and salt.
- Form the salmon mixture into palm size patties, set aside.
- Coat a deep skillet with 1/4 inch oil and turn the heat to medium/high.
- While the oil is heating, mix together the remaining egg and milk.
- Dredge the cakes in the milk/egg mixture, then the panko bread crumbs.
- Carefully place the coated patties in the hot oil and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side (or until golden and crispy).
- Serve with cool lemon dill sauce (recipe below) and garnish with a lemon wedge, parsley, and/or green onion.

Cool Lemon Dill Sauce Recipe:
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp mayonaise
- 1/2 tsp dried dill (or 1 tsp chopped fresh dill)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt

Directions:
 - Mix all ingredients together and serve with simple salmon cakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment