Monday, May 6, 2013

Creamy Gluten Free Pasta with Broccoli, Mushrooms, Artichoke Hearts, and Garbanzos

Wow, that's a long title. I apologize, but I couldn't find a way to shorten it without leaving crucial things out!

If you were to ask me what my favorite comfort food was, I would more than likely say pasta. I love any kind of pasta, especially pasta with lots of vegetables and a rich, creamy sauce. I do not, however, feel that this is a great dietary choice for consumption on a regular basis. You see, I have a hard time eating just a small amount of said dishes, and I end up feeling over stuffed after a heavy meal like that.

So, I decided to compromise and create a dish that was a little more health conscious but still had all the same qualities as those rich pasta dishes named earlier. And so I present to you - the lower fat, gluten free version of a rich, creamy pasta dish!

My friend Hollie (Yeah, Hollie!) told me about this yummy gluten free rice pasta, so I decided to pick up a box and try it out. I chose penne since Jacob hates all things that are spaghetti shaped (weird, I know). I searched the cabinets to see what kinds of beans we had on hand, and while searching around I found a can of artichokes as well - score!


Broccoli and mushrooms were the fresh veggies that I had on hand, so they were washed, trimmed, and chopped up before being tossed in a pan with a little olive oil and salt.


When the veggies were mostly cooked and the pasta was boiling away, I pulled out the items to make my super creamy (but heavy cream and butter - free) sauce. I know, I know - corn starch is kind of a cheaters way of making a creamy sauce, but I went for it anyways.


Once the pasta was done, the veggies were tender, and the sauce was thickened, I tossed them all together in one pan.


Jacob insisted we use up the few leftover pieces of bacon that were sitting in the fridge from a weekend breakfast, so I agreed. We just cooked it up until it was nice and crispy and gave it a rough chop. The bacon was not by any means crucial to this dish, but it did add a nice flavor.


Freshly grated parmesan on top for the win!


Creamy Gluten Free Pasta with Broccoli, Mushrooms, Artichoke Hearts, and Garbanzos Recipe:
Serves 4
- 1 box gluten free pasta (they usually come in 8 or 10 ounce boxes)
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into small crowns
- 5-6 white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4-5 canned artichoke hearts, cut into quarters (find these near the olives in your grocery store)
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup milk
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Parmesan, for garnish (optional)
- 2-3 slices of bacon, friend until crispy (optional)

Directions:
- Cook pasta according to directions on the box.
- While pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil on medium/high heat and saute the broccoli, garlic, and mushrooms in a large skillet.
- When the broccoli and mushrooms are tender, add the garbanzo beans and artichoke heart quarters. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk together the corn starch, half and half, and milk in a small bowl.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the vegetable mixture and stir constantly to incorporate.
- Reduce heat to medium/low and let the sauce thicken for 3-5 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add the pasta into the vegetable mixture and make sure all the pasta is evenly coated.
- Add salt/pepper to taste and garnish with parmesan and bacon (if you're into that kind of thing).

No comments:

Post a Comment