Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Lemon Olive Oil Pound Cake

As promised...

Citrus is the livelihood fruit of the winter. How many fruits are actually in season during the winter months? Not many. Citrus fruits are some of the only fruits that can be found fresh and non-imported during the days of little daylight. As you will quickly find in the future, I typically only purchase things at the grocery store that are on sale. It's hard to find produce that's on sale if it's not in season. Which is why I stumbled upon this recipe.

MLK Day seemed a perfect fit for cake baking to begin. Jacob and I got the day off and I spent the morning baking, organizing, and cleaning. The cake took a bit longer than expected to create, but proved well worth while in the end. It started with zesting and juicing three large lemons.

Other steps involved beating egg whites to stiff peaks (by hand, not on purpose), and folding them into a batter full of lemon essence and good extra virgin olive oil. For more on good quality olive oil, and what those funny terms "extra virgin" mean, go here.

After oiling and flouring my bundt pan more generously than ever before, the cake came out of the pan perfectly.

I topped it off with a drizzle of lemoncello icing and some more freshly grated lemon zest. Served with a (big) scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and a dusting of powdered sugar. Mmm. Truly amazing, refreshing, and light. While eating this cake, I had a short moment when I forgot that we would be experiencing below freezing temps and record winds all week. Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment