Saturday, October 26, 2013

What's in our fridge? (Food Planning Post #1)

I've decided to write a small series on food planning, prep, and our "everything in moderation" food lifestyle. This post is part one, I hope you enjoy!

I'm sure you're dying to know - what's in our fridge? Well, you're in luck. Yep, today's your special day! I just got back from grocery shopping and I have a well (but normally) stocked fridge. Here are the Junaluska Julep fridge essentials (and some not-so-essentials).


My goal is to only go to the grocery store 1-2 times per week. This requires me to plan ahead, make a list, and bring the list with me to the store (anyone else out there make lists and forget to bring them with you 90% of the time?). I go into auto pilot when I get to the store most of the time, picking up all our usual favorites. But, if I want to do something a little out of the ordinary it takes some planning.

First off, the produce. Since produce varies in price so much, I usually go to the store without certain fruits or veggies in mind. There are only a few produce items that I like to have on hand at all times:
Kale or spinach (for morning smoothies)
Bananas (also for mornings and smoothies)
Cabbage (because it's so cheap and makes a good side when roasted)
Broccoli (my favorite veggie!)
Garlic/Onions (necessary)
Carrots (also very cheap and great for lunches)
Mushrooms (Good for throwing in all kinds of things)
The rest is just based on what's cheap that week.

As far as proteins go, we usually stick to beans, eggs, tofu, and tempeh. If we are planning a gathering with friends or family I'll usually plan ahead and buy some chicken or beef, but during the week we're 90% vegetarian (more on this coming in an upcoming post). When I took this picture, we had lots of bacon in the fridge. Bacon is a family favorite of ours, but we really don't eat it very often. I had bought this a while back since family was coming into town and I knew we'd be having a big breakfast.




Dairy?
Yogurt (for smoothies and to pack for lunches)
Cheese
Almond Milk
Half and Half (For coffee. Gotta have it.)
Orange Juice (not really dairy, but in the dairy section. For smoothies)
Sour Cream (we use it in all kinds of things, but especially for beans and rice)
Sometimes I'll pick up some ricotta cheese for a pasta dish, or cream cheese for bagels.



Other staples:
Salsa
Various sauces and dressings
Pesto (for quick pesto-pasta dinners in a pinch)
Pickles
Butter
Hot sauce
Beer/white wine
Maple syrup (For when my parents come to visit. Pancakes are always involved)



Next post in the "food planning" series - meal planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment